Sunday, September 14, 2014

Battle High 2 A+: 3rd Time's a Charm

So I took another break from Battle High 2.  My latest attempt at porting the game to Unity3D was failing.  It just felt like I was doing a whole new game, and, if it were a whole new game -- new characters, story, gameplay, etc -- I would have been fine with this.  In the back of my head though, I knew that all of the code was done, all of the inputs and moves and commands worked, all of the interface code was written, and this was becoming painful.  Even more so, reaction to the changes I was proposing in the game were met with a lukewarm reaction.

I don't know the context of this image, but it describes my feelings at the time pretty well.
Now, however, the break is done!  I'm working on Battle High 2 again.  How is this time different from the previous version?  I'm copying and pasting...a lot.  That sounds kind of odd, but I realized redoing work you have already done feels extremely tedious and daunting.  Now porting that same code into Unity, figuring out how to make it work in that engine has some tedium but it's different -- it's more like solving a puzzle as opposed to just rewriting and redesigning systems I already had working.
There was some unique work that had to be done, for example, I had to rebuild the texture atlases to work with Unity and figure out a way to convert my SpriteFonts to Unity3D font assets.; however, I am using Unity3D's Sprite class now and will be able to create nicer particle effects -- because I have to.
My goal?  Well, my goal has always been to get the game working in Unity3D so I can port it to other consoles and create a PC version that doesn't require all of the nonsense that an XNA version required.  Hell, I might be able to get a Mac and/or Linux version working!
Will there be new things?  Not immediately, but once I get the game working well in Unity3D, the hope is that adding new content will be more streamline.  Will I actually do it?  That will depend on the popularity of the game / demand.  I'm really hoping to finish this and get it released on various platforms before 2015.  Of course, I decline to promise anything, as promises, especially for a hobbyist like me are easy to break.  Anyway, this is a short post, but enjoy this video.  It's not super exciting, but it is the latest build of Battle High 2 in Unity3D.


7 comments:

  1. A couple things I wanna bring up this time around.
    There absolutely needs to be hit stop. Both characters should stop moving entirely when a hit is landed for, I dunno, 10 frames or so. That can be tweaked and should vary based on the strength of the hit. I feel it's actually pretty important for making the game feel professional, and I don't think the last versions had it.
    Proper damage scaling should likely be a priority, too. It's kind of important. Easy way would just be to subtract 10% of the damage of a move for each hit, or something to that effect. It would be better to do it on a move by move basis but I don't know how much you wanna put in to that.
    It's kind of saddening to see this as a one man project now. But I believe in you! I don't think there's really much I could do to help, but if there is let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the last version did have it actually; it just wasn't very noticeable. I know the second redo (this is the third) had is more prominently for sure.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to take another look but I didn't notice much of anything. Suppose I might just be used to Blazblue's super long hitstop or something. And it definitely doesn't need to be that long.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the update dude, I think its safe to say we all appreciate the amount of hard work you're putting into this. Nice to see the action still flows nicely too, yes balance and such is important but first and foremost I think it needs to be fun.

    Not sure if hit stop is needed per say unless it affects the overall smoothness of the system. Damage scaling is important I will agree with that, however it should be based on damage from moves as apposed to actual hits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on the damage scaling. I was just saying an easy lazy way to do it, too. The ideal way would be to make damage scaling work on a move by move basis but with one man doing everything I would not blame a shortcut or two.
      I think the game feels slippery with too little hit stop, though. But if it's too long it can make the game feel too slow. Definitely a thing that needs to be tweaked but I think it'll help quite a bit.
      I suppose that's more or less my opinion, though.

      Delete
    2. My plan for damage scaling was going to be as follows:
      Repeated moves are scaled, so LP, LK -- no scaling, LP -> LP scaling. I might change this to that each move has a scaling curve depending on the number of hits in the current combo.
      Then, the dash cancel was going reset scaling.

      Actually that's really about it...

      Delete
    3. I think there should still be scaling on non-repeated moves because the damage level is still extremely high like that. Perhaps scaling on non-repeated moves and more scaling on repeated moves? You definitely don't want 100% combos. And the dash cancel resetting the scaling... that's kind of crazy. With how easy it is to do and how easy it is to get that meter there's too much damage that you're doing off that combo, in my opinion.
      It's one thing to have a high damage game, but if your scaling isn't harsh enough then there's no reason not to go for kill combos every time. Especially since this game is one with very long combos. If there's anything that's going to reset scaling, don't make it so easy to get.

      Delete