Thursday, December 4, 2014

Battle High 2 A+ on OUYA


So I'd like to announce with the video above that I am working on and have a working version of Battle High 2 on OUYA!  (It is, of course, without some problems, such as challenge commands showing up in arcade mode.)

Wait, what's an OUYA?


OUYA is an Android console that was released a little over a year ago.  It's most appealing aspect to me was that is was advertised as a console with a low barrier of entry.  The entire reason I started porting Battle High to Unity was so I could get the game on OUYA, and now I finally have the game working n the console.  Of course, this wasn't the easiest in tasks.

Connecting to OUYA 


So when I first started messing with my OUYA, I remember that exporting a build from Unity to OUYA was a bit of a pain, but fortunately, they've simplified this by allowing you to upload an apk over your local network directly to your OUYA.  This process isn't the fastest; it has to upload then install and this is after you make a build from Unity; so even more fortunately, I already had taken the steps to establish a proper connection between my OUYA console and my PC.

I NEED MORE POWER!


Being an Android console, the OUYA is essentially a slightly above average (or average now) phone with an HDMI port.  Now Battle High, at least I don't think so, isn't the most technically advanced game, it's just a 2D fighter, but even so, the game's large spritesheets and particle effects cause rendering issues in the game, or at least, the OUYA cannot run the game at 60 FPS like it can on PC.  Now there could be some major optimization I have to do on my part that will fix that, but for now, the OUYA version of Battle High 2 runs at 30 fps.
Another issue was the size of spritehseets.  OUYA -- or at least for Unity games -- can't handle textures larger than 2048.  I was able to optimize and get all character sprites onto 2048 square textures except one character -- Principle.  So last night, I had to devise a way to split his sprites so half were on a 2048 x 2048 and the rest on a 1024 x 2048 texture.  Fortunately, it works.  I should probably have put his use in the video.

Silver Lining?


I think the silver lining to the power problems with OUYA is it makes a great min spec machine.  I think my next game, if it is not a pure mobile game, will probably be tested on OUYA first and if I can get it running smoothly on that platform, then I will build it up for PC and any other platform it may be released on.  It's also nice because I can see how it'll look on a TV very early on and the OUYA is easy to transport to show other people if I so desire.

Network Play?


I know online play is very important for fighting games, but the initial release of Battle High 2 A+ (or whatever I decide to call it) will not have network play -- just like Dead or Alive 5:  Last Round.  I will say though that I do plan to at least attempt to have online multiplayer sometime in 2015.  Will it be great?  Probably not, but I'm at least going to try!

Release Plans


So it may be ambitious, but I'm still shooting to finish and release this game before 2015 on the OUYA marketplace.  The biggest feature I have to implement is the AI for arcade mode and after that I'm essentially "done".  There are various bugs and other elements of polish that will need to be taken care of as well, but the most important features and aspects are primarily done.  Anyway, I'll update here (or elsewhere) when I get have more information and as release approaches.

1 comment:

  1. I will buy the OUYA version just because you said it might have multiplayer. Please make it cross platform if possible.

    ReplyDelete